Because of our commitment to preventative dental care, we recommend a checkup every six months. Regular exams are the best way to eliminate the growth phase of dental problems, and minimize the time and money you spend in the dental chair.
Most dental problems start small, but can develop at a rapid rate. Regular checkups enable us to catch the problems indicated below before they become serious conditions:
- Plaque buildup
- Cracked or leaking fillings
- Bad bite
Routine cleanings enable us to keep tartar from accumulating on your teeth. During your regular visits, we will also perform a thorough exam to check your gums, measure the bone levels around your teeth, look for cavities, check your existing restorations, and examine your bite.
In between regular visits to the dentist, there are simple steps that each of us can take to greatly decrease the risk of developing the conditions as indicated above. These include:
- Brush thoroughly, twice a day and floss daily
- Eat a balanced diet and limit snacks between meals
- Use dental products which contain fluoride, including toothpaste
- Rinse with a fluoride mouth rinse if advised to do so
- Make sure children under 12 drink fluoridated water or take a fluoride supplement if they live in a non-fluoridated area
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months.